girls

girls

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Taking all four kids to the art museum

Today was another one of those days I deserve an award for. We had a fantastic day overall, but it was quite a bit of work on my part.
I got up and fed everyone breakfast, which lately has taken a certain amount of cajoling and, well, bribery, to get Noli to eat fruits and vegetables. It goes something like this. "If you eat some apple slices, you can have Koala Krisps!" Linn got the "fruit award" by eating the whole box of strawberries. Maisy settled for a vegetarian sandwhich, and Maya did well with grapes.
After breakfast I got out the play-doh box and they entertained themselves for a good hour while I attended to household chores. Their interest moved to computer games for a while, then drawing. The morning flew by and lunch was a simple crudite, cheese, and cracker plate. Because there's something about going to the museum that makes me want to "glam up" myself and the kids, I successfully attempted curling my hair while simultaneously applying make up. I made sure everyone was dressed adorably, hair done, socks and shoes on and we got in the car 3 minutes ahead of schedule for our journey downtown to the museum.
There were no easy parking places, so I warned everyone that we would really need to stay together to cross two streets. The hand-holding thing was tricky. I had the twins on my left with one holding a thumb and the other holding a pinky. The older girls did the same on my right. We got there without a hitch and after depositing Maya to her art class, and a quick refresher on the museum rules (quiet voices, no touching the art, walking only) the three remaining girls and I walked around and looked at art for 45 minutes. Then I took them outside to the lovely grounds and had them run around like crazy. To reward them for being so good inside, we went to the Cafe and indulged in chocolate. I had coffee. We discussed what artwork impressed us most and why.
Now that they were sugared, we went back outside for a bit more running around until Maya's class was over.
Leaving, I received one "you've got your hands full" from a kind older woman. It would not have been a perfect outing without hearing that at least once!

No comments: